HOW TO RENEW YOUR ITALIAN DRIVING LICENCE
Italian citizens registered in AI.R.E. or residing abroad for a period of at least 6 months can renew their driving licence for category A and B vehicles, as long as the expired licence is in good condition and all data clearly legible.
It is possible to apply for renewal no earlier than 4 months and no later than five years from the expiry date of the driving licence.
The renewal issued by the Consulate General must always be carried together with the original licence.
Those Italians wishing to apply for a new licnce in the form of a plastic card must contact the competent office of the Transportation Department in Italy before the licence expires.
Driving licences are renewed in accordance with the age group of their holders:
– 10 years: holders under the age of 50
– 5 years: holders aged between 50 and 70
– 3 years: holders over the age of 70
To apply for renewal, you need to:
1) Book an appointment with one of the doctors designated by this Consulate General (the cost of the medical is borne by the applicant). You must bring with you your driving licence and 2 passport-sized photos (white background, front) to your appointment with the doctor. The medical certificate is valid for a maximum of 3 months from the date of issue.
DESIGNATED DOCTOR IN HONG KONG:
Dr. Eric AU
Unit 8B KINGSWELL COMMERCIAL TOWER, 171-173 Lockhart Road, Wanchai tel. + 852-2519.6232; fax. + 852-2589.5612, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DESIGNATED DOCTORS IN MACAO:
Dr. Rui FURTADO
Dr. PERES DE SOUSA
c / o GloballMed Medical Center
504-520 Avenida de Guimaraes, Taipa
Tel: +853 28282328; Fax: +853 28868640; email: email@example.com
2) Book your appointment at the Consulate General on Prenot@mi and bring with you the certificate issued by one of the designated doctors, the 2 photos and the licence.
N.B.: Pursuant to Article 126, paragraph 5-bis of Legislative Decree 285 of 30/04/1992 (“New Highway Code”), in case of repatriation the licence holder must re-apply for renewal of the driving licence in accordance with the provisions of article 5 of said Legislative Decree.
ATTENTION: You can apply for duplicates for loss, destruction or theft of the driving licence exclusively in Italy at the competent branch (“Motorizzazione Civile”) of the Ministry of Transportation.
LICENCES WITH ILLEGIBLE RENEWAL STAMPS CANNOT BE ACCEPTED FOR RENEWAL