For more infomation on the Emergency Travel Documents (ETD), please consult the dedicated page on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
If you are an Italian national non-resident in the consular district of Hong Kong and Macao and you are in an emergency situation, e.g. as a tourist in transit you have to leave again but you have lost or been robbed of your passport, this Consulate General can issue a provisional travel document (also called E.T.D. – Emergency Travel Document). The E.T.D. is an emergency, provisional travel document which is valid for a few days and allows one return trip to Italy or the country of permanent residence.
If the country of residence/destination is outside the European Union and/or the return journey involves transit through a country outside the European Union, it will be necessary to verify with the competent diplomatic-consular representation that the E.T.D. is recognised as a valid document for entry purposes.
To request an E.T.D., you must present the following documents at the Consulate General’s offices:
- valid identity document (e.g. identity card, driving licence), in original or, if this is not possible, also in copy
- report of loss/theft of your passport or other travel document submitted to the local police authorities
- consular report of loss/theft of your passport or other travel document
- ETD application form
- airline ticket/ticket/travel itinerary with confirmed date of departure
- 2 passport-size, identical, colour, frontal photographs on a white background (3 photographs in case of identification of the applicant by witnesses)
- an affidavit of consent from the other parent in the presence of minor children (in the case of Italian citizens or citizens of other European Union countries, the affidavit of consent may be sent to this Consulate General by email, accompanied by a copy of an identity document with the signature page of the holder; for non-EU citizens, the affidavit of consent must be signed in person at these Offices or at the Offices of the competent Authorities in the place of residence, Police Headquarters or Diplomatic-Consular Representation, which will then be forwarded to our Offices)
- cash payment in Hong Kong dollars for the cost of the ETD (equivalent to € 1.55, approximately HKD 20).
In the event that the Italian nationals applying for the E.T.D. is unable to present any valid identification document (original or photocopy), this Consulate General will have to carry out further identity checks before being able to issue the emergency travel document. In addition, it may be necessary for the person applying for the E.T.D. to be identified in the presence of at least one witness who must come to the Consulate with a valid original identity document for identification and recognition procedures.
For minors who require an E.T.D., in addition to the documentation for those over the age of 18, an affidavit of consent form signed by both parents will be required (if they are Italian citizens or citizens of other EU countries, the act of assent may be sent to this Consulate General by email, accompanied by a copy of an identity document with the signature page of the holder. For non-EU citizens, it is necessary to sign the affidavit of consent in person at these Offices or at the Offices of the competent Authorities in the place of residence, Questura or Diplomatic-Consular Representation, which will then be forwarded to our Offices). It may also be necessary to verify the proof of filiation (e.g. family status, birth certificate indicating paternity and maternity).
If the minor is without identification documents, this Office will proceed with further verifications as in the case of adults.
It should be borne in mind that on public holidays and holidays the assistance in issuing emergency travel documents may be precluded due to the closure of the offices and postponed to the first working day, except in situations of proven emergency to be assessed on a case-by-case basis.