This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

How to import to hong kong medicines/controlled substances for personal use which may be considererd “Dangerous Drugs”

A visitor to Hong Kong who intends to bring prescription drugs/controlled substance as personal effects and for personal use should seek prior approval in writing from Chief Pharmacist at the following address: Chief Pharmacist, Department of Health, Suites 2002-05, 20F, AIA Kowloon Tower, Landmark East, 100 How Ming Street, Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong or e-mail:

He/She should provide a certification letter from his/her prescribing doctor (showing his/her doctor’s name, registration number, name and address of the clinic, date, and signed by his/her prescribing doctor) which clearly states the visitor’s name, address, and certifying the name, dosage form, strength, and total quantity of the controlled medication that he/she intends to bring into Hong Kong.

When an approval is granted, he/she should carry the letter of approval with him/her at all times during his/her stay in Hong Kong so as to make it available for inspection as and when required.

It is always advisable to write to the Chief Pharmacist’s email address well in advance before travelling if he/she is in doubt about the category of the medical substance.