This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Automobiles and Driver’s Licence


Automobiles and Driver’s Licence


Italian citizens registered in AI.R.E. or residing abroad for a period of at least 6 months can renew their driving licence for category A and B vehicles, as long as the expired licence is in good condition and all data clearly legible.
It is possible to apply for renewal no earlier than 4 months and no later than three years from the expiry date of the driving licence.
The renewal issued by the Consulate General must always be carried together with the original licence.
Those Italians wishing to apply for a new licnce in the form of a plastic card must contact the competent office of the Transportation Department in Italy before the licence expires.

Driving licences are renewed in accordance with the age group of their holders:
- 10 years: holders under the age of 50
- 5 years: holders aged between 50 and 70
- 3 years: holders over the age of 70



Residents in both Hong Kong and Macao need to make an appointment with Dr. Eric AU (address: Unit 8B, KINGSWELL COMMERCIAL TOWER, 171-173 Lockhart Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong; tel. +852-2519.6232; fax. +852-2589.5612, email: for a medical, specifying it is needed for renewal of the driving licence. They need to go with their driving licence and 2 photos (facing forward, white background).

The cost of the examination is borne by the applicant.

After the medical, applicants can come in person to the Consulate General by appointment with the appropriate certificate issued by the aforementioned doctor, 2 photos and the licence.

Renewals issued by Consular Offices are only valid for citizens residing abroad. In compliance with Article 123, par.5-bis of Law 285/1992 (New Driving Law), should a driver move their residence to Italy, they must renew their driving licence again (article 5 of law 285/1992).

Duplicates of driving licences due to loss, destruction or theft cannot be issued overseas and must be applied for at the competent office of the Transportation Department in Italy.

For more information, click here